Greetings NEA-Jurupa Family!
Hopefully your first full week back in-person is going well! I’ve been about hearing really great things happening!
For many folks, returning to school wearing a mask is not the most comfortable situation, especially in this heat. I have been in discussions with the District specifically related to classroom temperatures and staff/student safety. Please remember that masks are mandatory Indoors in K-12 schools, childcare, and other youth settings per state guidelines.
With everything going on (and all of the new information coming), here are updates on a few things:
- In accordance with our 21-22 MOU, Federal, State, and County Public Health Guidelines and Mandates must be followed. I’ve attached the JUSD COVID Protocol and Notification Procedures again for your reference.
- In the event that a parent (or student) reaches out to you about a positive case with their student, please notify your site administration immediately. People are asking about more specific information regarding individuals, however, that information cannot be disclosed as it would constitute a HIPAA violation. You have a right to know that you may have been exposed and will be directly contacted if you came in “close contact” with a COVID positive individual based on this definition: “A close contact is defined as being within 6 feet of an infected person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period starting from two days before illness onset (or, for asymptomatic patients, two days prior to the test specimen collection).”
- Today, the Governor announced that all teachers and school staff will be required to provide proof of vaccination or submit to weekly COVID testing. See EdSource article for more details. I have already been in contact with the District about this and we will be discussing the impacts of the new policy.
- Here is CTA’s Statement on today’s announcement:
Amid Surge in Delta Variant, California Educators Support Vaccine Verification and Testing Requirement
90 percent of California’s teachers already vaccinated
BURLINGAME—California Teachers Association President E. Toby Boyd issued the following statement in strong support of today’s announcement by Governor Newsom that all California educators must show proof of verification or be tested regularly for COVID-19:
“We know from our surveys that nearly 90 percent of educators have already been vaccinated. Yet in the past few weeks, we have seen a rising spread of the Delta variant, especially among children, just as the new school year is starting. Educators want to be in classrooms with their students, and the best way to make sure that happens is for everyone who is medically eligible to be vaccinated, with robust testing and multi-tiered safety measures. Today’s announcement is an appropriate next step to ensure the safety of our school communities and to protect our youngest learners under 12 who are not yet vaccine eligible from this highly contagious Delta variant.
“All along we have let community conditions, science and public health guidance lead us and have strongly advocated for multiple layers of safety protections – vaccinations, masking, physical distancing, improved ventilation and robust testing – to keep our school communities safe. Educators and parents must continue to play an active role in developing safety plans for their schools and colleges. Today’s announcement provides an important alternative for those educators who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, while continuing to send a strong and clear message that every one of us – educators, eligible students, parents and staff – must be doing everything we can if we hope to win this fight against COVID and keep our schools open safely. The health of each one of us depends on the work of all of us.”
- Site Rep Allocations/Elections: Each site has an allocation for representatives based on the number of Active Unit Members at the given site. This includes Teachers, Counselors, Guidance Coordinators, Psychs, SLP’s, and Virtual Teachers assigned to that site. The allocation of reps for each site is attached above. Please let me or Stacey Goldberg know who your reps are by the end of next week (August 20th). Only Active Members can vote in Site Rep Elections.
- I continue to take concerns and questions to the District on an almost daily basis. Please reach out to me, your Site Reps, or Exec Board members so these can be addressed as quickly as possible.
- Monday, August 16th: Exec Board Meeting (virtual)
- Monday, August 16th: JUSD School Board Meeting (in-person and YouTube)
- Wednesday, August 25th: Rep Council Meeting (virtual)
Thank you for all that you do on behalf of your colleagues, staff, students, and the Jurupa Valley community at-large. Best to all of you and your loved ones and please continue to stay safe and well!
Wendy Eccles 🙂
Office Phone: 951-681-7997, Google Voice: 951-643-4076
Non-district email: email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together“- African Proverb