Greetings NEA-Jurupa Family,
Welcome to the weekend! 2020 continues to be the more bizarre year ever (or at least in my lifetime). It still seems so weird that we are 1/3 of the way through the school year and 7 months since we’ve been in-person. As we continue along this long, strange trip, I again want to thank you all for all that you do each and every day on behalf of your colleagues, students, and the community at-large. Your empathy, grace, kindness, patience, and understanding does not go unnoticed…
To our Elementary Teachers, good luck with your report cards and parent teacher conferences.
I wanted to share a bit of information and some updates with you. Attached above are several informational pieces including Rep Council Meeting Notes, October 2020 Concerns, Member Concern Process, Distance Learning Information, Pertinent Ed Code, and Educator Rights.
JUSD SCHOOL BOARD MEETING: October 19, 2020 Open Public Session – 6:00 p.m. Link to join meeting: https://youtu.be/XAMK__6Euzo
PUBLIC COMMENT INSTRUCTIONS: Public comments will be accepted online, the link will open one hour prior (4:00 pm) to the start of Closed Session, until the agendized item is taken up for consideration by the Board. A staff member will facilitate the reading of public comment submissions, consistent with the direction of the Board during “Public Comments.” The public may also join the meeting and fill out a request to speak card.
Public Comment Submission Form (English): https://forms.gle/hdynUMcURG4Njmes6. If you aren’t comfortable with submitting Public Verbal Comments, you can submit anonymously (or send to me for submission) or you can continue to email our School Board Members.
Regarding Re-Opening, the following plan is on the Board Agenda to adopt:
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread. The board is committed to its obligations to protect the safety of children and staff. The Board acknowledges that distance learning presents unique challenges for our students, parents, teachers, and staff.
1. All students will receive distance learning instruction through the end of the semester.
2. The Board and staff will monitor local and county COVID-19 statistics to determine when it is safe and prudent to reopen.
3. The District will offer the option of distance learning to parents for the remainder of the school year.
4. The Board and staff will continue to investigate and plan for:
• In-person instruction for small groups (fourteen or fewer students) per the Governor’s order for specialized instructional services.
• Phase-in of hybrid instruction when it is safe and prudent.
• Open full in-person only when it is deemed safe or necessary.
5. Upon reopening for in-person instruction, student transportation will be limited to special education services only in order to comply with safety requirements.
6. Daily meal distributions will continue through the end of the school year.
7. The Board will meet and revisit the reopening plan prior to the end of the first semester.
The Board will meet again on November 2nd and December 14th (only one regularly scheduled meeting per month)
It’s also important to acknowledge that although Riverside County is still in the RED Tier (the county asked for a one week extension), cases have continued to increase again and there is a very good chance that the county will move back into the PURPLE Tier next week. As of this morning, current adjusted case rate per 100K is up from 7.6 last week to 9.2, positivity rate is up from 5.0 to 5.9, and cases in Jurupa Valley have increase to 3509 (up 100 from last week).
For more information click here: https://www.rivcoph.org/coronavirus
The Association will begin surveying our members in the next few weeks.
To our 1st and 2nd year members, the Association will be hosting a Virtual Event on October 28th to focus on you! More info to come next week. The Association also plans on hosting a Virtual Happy Hour and Virtual Paint Night in the next couple of months. The more the merrier!!! If you have any specific suggestions for member events, please feel free to reach out
October 19th, 3:30-4, Meditation: Register here.
I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend. Best to you and your loved ones! Please continue to stay safe and well
Wendy Eccles 🙂
Follow us on Facebook
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together“- African Proverb